Gen Z Critics is committed to diversity and inclusion. We strongly encourage people from historically underrepresented groups in media and entertainment to apply.
All applicants must be 24 years old or younger. Finalists from previous years may not participate.
Your application must include the following:
- 1 document including the following (this document should not contain any identifying information):
- 1 review of a film that has transported you out of the quarantine/COVID-19 era. Your review must have a creative title. While it is preferred that you submit a review that has not already been published elsewhere, it is not required. The list of suggested films is provided for inspiration; however, as theaters have been closed and movie release dates have been delayed, this year applicants may write about a film from any period.
- 1 essay response to the prompt: “How can we increase interest in film criticism among young people?” This essay should also have a creative title.
- 1 document with the following:
- The full name you would like to be attached to your author’s profile, year in school, email, and the city where you’re based
- Name of school, if currently attending
- A short personal bio
- A headshot (should you choose to write reviews for our website, this will be posted, along with your personal bio, on the 2021 members page of our website).
Each part of the application must be written in Times New Roman, 12 pt. font, on a Word document. The review and essay are each limited to two pages (single-spaced); your application, in its entirety, should be formatted like this sample. You can submit your application by emailing it to [email protected].
Upon submitting your application, you will immediately become a member of Gen Z Critics.
The deadline for submissions is January 15, 2021, 11:59 PM EST. Five finalists will be determined by professional film critics from organizations such as the New York Film Critics Circle and the Boston Society of Film Critics. All applicants will be contacted with the results via email by mid-March.
Contest winners will be selected to participate in an online round table discussion moderated by a professional film critic. Their work will be published on the Gen Z Critics website, and they will also receive an all-access pass to the National Film Festival for Talented Youth.
Still not sure if you want to apply? Watch this video and reconsider.