Gen Z Critics is committed to diversity and inclusion. We strongly encourage people from historically underrepresented groups in media and entertainment to apply.
All applicants must be 24 years old or younger. Finalists from previous years may not participate.
Your application must include the following:
- 1 document including the following (this document should not contain any identifying information):
- 1 review of a film released in 2019. Your review must have a title. While it is preferred that you submit a review that has not already been published elsewhere, it is not required. Look to the list of suggested films for guidance.
- 1 essay response to the prompt: “How can we increase interest in film criticism among young people?” This essay should also have a title.
- 1 document with the following:
- Your full name, year in school, email, and the city where you’re based
- Name of school, if currently attending
- A short personal bio
- A headshot (should you choose to write reviews for our website, this will be posted, along with your personal bio, on the 2020 members page of our website).
Each part of the application must be written in Times New Roman, 12 pt. font, on a Word document. The review and essay are each limited to two pages (single-spaced); your application, in its entirety, should be formatted like this sample. You can submit your application by emailing it to [email protected].
Upon submitting your application, you will immediately become a member of Gen Z Critics.
The deadline for submissions is January 10, 2020, 11:59 PM EST. Five finalists will be determined by professional film critics from organizations such as the New York Film Critics Circle and the Boston Society of Film Critics. All applicants will be contacted with the results via email by mid-March.
Contest winners will be selected to participate in an online round table discussion moderated by a professional film critic. Their work will be published on the Gen Z Critics website, and they will also receive an all-access pass to the National Film Festival for Talented Youth.
Still not sure if you want to apply? Watch this video and reconsider.
- Velvet Buzzsaw
- Avengers: Endgame
- The Lion King
- Toy Story 4
- Spider-Man: Far From Home
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
- Frozen 2
- Captain Marvel
- Charlie's Angels
- The Farewell
- The Hustle
- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
- Blinded By the Light
- Brittany Runs a Marathon
- The Goldfinch
- El Camino: a Breaking Bad Movie
- Dolemite is My Name
- Happy Death Day 2U
- Isn't It Romantic
- Ad Astra
- Marriage Story
- Rambo: Last Blood
- Gemini Man
- The King
- Zombieland: Double Tap
- Maleficent: Mistress of Evil
- Official Secrets
- The Report
- Little Women
- Where'd You Go, Bernadette
- Late Night
- The Souvenir
- A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood
- Motherless Brooklyn
- Lucy in the Sky
- The Irishman
- Tall Girl
- The Boy Who Would Be King
- Earthquake Bird